Friday, April 17, 2009

Pest Control Tidbits - Aphids

Pest Control - Aphids

How do I get rid of those pesky aphids on my trees and flowers? The organic way is to spray with a hard streams of water; add 2 oz. molasses per gallon for better results. I have also read to use dish detergent in the water. Also release ladybugs and lacewings.

I have tried this but have not had much success. I ended up loosing five hibiscus bushes by trying the natural way. I did not use ladybugs and lacewings though. The alternative that worked for me was to purchase a strong chemical from my local nursery and spray the affected plant. This saved my tree and kept the aphids from spreading to my other plants and trees. I intend to get the ladybugs and lacewings and releasing them to prevent future attacks. In the meantime, my Desert Willow is getting ready to bloom and is aphid free.




No comments: